Talking About Sports (Adv)
What major international sporting events will occur over the next few years?
Watch the following video.
1. How would you describe the reaction of the audience when the winning name is announced?
Read the following article.
1. When did the modern Olympic games begin?
2. How many athletes will compete at the 2016 Summer Olympics?
3. Which do you prefer to watch, the Summer or Winter Olympics? Why?
Reframing is the ability to look at the topic being discussed and the ideas being expressed from a new, original perspective, and switching the angle of the conversation to that viewpoint.
For example, you can reframe:
- A problem as an opportunity
- A weakness as a strength
- An impossibility as a distant possibility etc.
Reframed as a Positive
The CEO takes a long time to make decisions.
We might be missing business opportunities.
But on the other hand, the company isn't taking careless risks.
The company wants to cut it's electricity costs by reducing airconditioning in summer.
Many people are unhappy about working in a warmer office.
However, it is a chance to introduce a new "super casual summer dress code".
Your client wants a 25% discount on your selling prices.
It is impossible to currently meet the request and still make a profit.
Maybe this is an opportunity for us to reconsider our business model to see if we can meet the price target in the near future.
|competitive (adjective)||I don't like to play competitive sports.|
|competitively (adverb)||Do you often play tennis competitively?|
|competition (noun)||When is your next golf competition?|
|competitor (noun)||I was a competitor in last year's Tokyo marathon.|
|give it your best shot (expression)||Even if the test is too difficult you should still give it your best shot.|
Imagine you work for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics planning committee.
You have been asked to have a discussion with a representative from a group of concerned Tokyo city residents.
The citizens are worried about how the Tokyo Olympics will affect their community.
You will need to use reframing skills to de-emphasize the negatives and highlight the positive aspects of the event.
- More crowded public transport
- Potential for security incident
- High cost of building facilities for the event
- Redevelopment will change the character of some parts of the city
- Increased tourism potential for Tokyo
- The facilities will be available for future sports and cultural events in the city
- The event will create a sense of pride in Tokyo and Japan in general
- Increased interest in sports and healthy living nationwide
Are you personally looking forward to the 2020 Olympics?
Why or why not?
Do you have any questions about this lesson?
What did you learn today?
Did you learn any new vocabulary or expressions?
Ask your instructor for tips on how you can improve your English.
Finally, don't forget to take the quiz after all your lessons are finished today.
Thank you !